Monday, October 28, 2013

musical weekend

Besides going up to see Crissy Broadcast on Saturday, I attended two symphony concerts over the weekend.

First, on Friday, the Peninsula Symphony, which I previewed for one publication and reviewed for the other. It was not very inspiring.

Then, on Saturday, Symphony Silicon Valley, which also got a review. This was much better; not one of their A concerts, but a good A-. Having exhausted myself at Crissy that morning, even with a nap and a large blast of caffeine I found it a bit of a struggle to stay alert, no fault of the players. I wasn't so out of it, though, that I failed to notice what I was too groggy or something to remember to put in my review: a huge horn flub in the third movement of the Shostakovich, less notable in itself than in the awesomely flexible way the conductor and orchestra stepped around the problems it caused.

No comments:

Post a Comment