Wednesday, October 30, 2013

recipe fixing

Sometimes this may be a cooking blog.

Yesterday, I found some chicken breasts on sale at the market, so I bought them. Then, on taking them home, I had to find a recipe to make with them. In the pantry, I found a packet of seasonings with a chicken recipe on it. Most of the other ingredients I had, in some form or another (substituting cider vinegar for balsamic - I'm not proud), although it did call for roasting plum tomatoes in the oven along with cooking the chicken.

I didn't have any plum tomatoes. We don't really like tomatoes all that much anyway. I could go back out and buy some, or, I could substitute. Hmm, what have we got?

Brussels sprouts. They're round. They roast well. We like them. We have lots. Let's use those. So I did. It came out pretty well, the sprouts, in fact, better than the chicken. Note to self, and I've mused on this before, but never taken it to heart: when the recipe says bake the chicken at 425, don't believe it. That's too high. Turn it down to 375 or so, and watch it in the last ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment